One of the great things about the holidays is all the opportunities you get to create amazing makeup looks, whether it be for a shopping trip, a holiday dinner with friends or a holiday party, this is the perfect time of year to put your best face forward. We have created three holiday/winter looks and explained the step by step process for each look so that anyone will be able to re-create these same great looks at home.
LOOK #1: Daytime Holiday Look
Step1: Prep the skin
To cleanse Summer’s skin we used Aveda Tourmaline Charged Exfoliating Cleanser. The tourmaline line is great for dry skin and leaves the skin feeling and looking radiant. For her moisturizer we used the Tourmaline Charged Hydrating Cream very lightly because it is a heavier moisturizer. To tone her skin we used Aveda Skin firming Toning Agent.
1) For Summer’s primer we used Aveda Eye Shadow Transformer to make sure her eye makeup would last throughout the day.
2) Using Aveda Black Tulip Trio Eye Shadow on Summer we started with the medium shade all over her bottom lid to the crease.
3) To give her a light smoky eye we applied the darkest shade in her crease using the smudge brush. Start from the outside in and follow the crease until directly above the pupil.
4) We used Aveda Single Color Eye Shadow in Illumination to highlight the brow bone.
5) To line summers eyes we used Aveda Black Orchid Liner around the entire eye. Line the inner rim of the lower lash line. After applying the liner we applied the darkest shade from the Black Tulip Trio on top of the liner to set it to prevent any smudging.
We applied the Dark Brown Shadow from the Aveda Gobi Sand Trio with a small eye shadow brush to fill in her eye brows.
We used Aveda Concealer in Hazelnut on Summer to hide any dark circles and anywhere we saw any unevenness in her skin tone.
For Summer’s foundation we used Aveda Tinted Moisturizer in Burl. We used the Beauty Blender Sponge to apply the foundation. The beauty blender is a professional make-up sponge that helps apply foundation evenly and it is my personal favorite when applying foundation. To set the foundation we lightly brushed Aveda Dual Foundation in Twig.
The blush we used was Aveda Face Accent Rose Blossom just on the apples of her cheeks.
To give summer a nice winter look we used Aveda Uruku color gloss in Peony. To give a little shine we added Aveda Lip Shine in Grapefruit Pulp.
LOOK #2: Evening Holiday Look
Step1: Prep The Skin
We first started by prepping Cassie using Aveda All Sensitive Cleanser, All Sensitive Moisturizer and Aveda Skin Firming Toning Agent to tone her skin.
1) First you want to use a primer on the eye lids. On Cassie we used Aveda Eye Shadow Transformer. The transformer is used for many different things, it can be used to transform your shadows into bright vibrant colors as well as work as a primer to prevent creasing in your shadows, and make your eye shadow last longer throughout the day.
2) Using Aveda Copper Haze Eye Shadow Trio, we started on the bottom lid using the lightest shade out of the trio from lash line to crease.
3) Next we used the darkest shade from the trio in the crease using the contour brush, making sure to blend inside the crease and a little bit above to give it that smoky affect
4) We highlighted with Aveda Single Eye Shadow Illumination under the brow bone and near the tear duct to bring out and brighten the eye.
5) We then used Aveda Black Orchid Eye Liner getting down into the lash line as close as possible. Using an Aveda Smudge Brush, we brushed light upward strokes smudging the liner up and outward creating a soft line to enhance the eye without a harsh line. On the bottom lash line we used the liner to give the eye a dramatic effect.
6) Last step on the eyes, we used Aveda Black Forest Mascara
We used Aveda Cocoa Eye Pencil to fill in Cassie’s eye brows.
Aveda concealer that we used was Bamboo for under the eyes and anywhere Cassie had any blemishes or redness that needed more coverage
For Cassie’s foundation we used Aveda Tinted Moisturizer in Burl to give her a nice natural glow. We used Aveda Translucent Loose Powder to set the foundation so it will last her all day
Step6: Blush and Bronzer
Cassie has a really nice olive skin tone so we wanted to give her a little sun kissed look. We used Aveda Bronze Glow Bronzer under her cheek bones blending into the hair line and on her nose and chin. The blush we just put on the apples of her cheeks using Aveda Rose Blossom Face Accent.
LOOK #3: Holiday Party Look
To prep Carrie’s skin for make-up we used Aveda All Sensitive Cleanser, All Sensitive Moisturizer, and Aveda Skin Firming Toning Agent to tone her skin.
For this look we wanted to keep the eyes more natural and keep the focus more on the lips.
1) To prime the eyes we used Aveda Eye Shadow Transformer.
2) Using the Gobi Sands Trio, we brushed the medium color from the lash line to the crease.
3) For the crease we lightly used the darkest shade out of the Gobi Sands Trio to give the eye definition.
4) Underneath the brow bone we used the lightest shade out of the Gobi Sands Trio to bring out the shape of the brows.
5) For Carrie’s liner we used Aveda Liner in cocoa, lining the entire eye top and bottom lash line. To set the liner we used the darkest shade in the Gobi Sands Trio on top of the liner. It’s always good to set your liner with a shadow on top. It will set the liner to keep it from melting into any creases.
6) We used Aveda Black Forest Mascara on her top and bottom lashes
For Carrie’s eye brows we just used a disposable mascara wand and brushed them to set her brows into place to give them a nice shape.
We used Aveda Balsa Concealer to hide any dark circles and cover any redness on the skin before applying the foundation.
Using Aveda Tinted Moisturizer in Beechwood, we took the Beauty Blender Sponge to apply the foundation. To set the foundation we used Aveda Translucent Powder.
Step6: Blush and Bronzer
For Carrie’s bronzer and blush we wanted to define the cheek bones. We used Aveda Brazilian Sun Bronzer under the check bones. For her blush we used Aveda Peachlights Face Accent.
We wanted Carrie’s lips to be bold and be the focus point. We used Aveda Nourishment Lip Color in Cherrybud with Aveda Cherryblossom Gloss to give her a nice bold lip.
General Rules for Applying Make-up:
Step 1: Prep the skin
Always prep the skin before any make-up application. It gives you a fresh clean pallet and helps the make-up look fresh.
First: cleanse the skin to rid of any excess oil or make-up.
Second: Moisturize. Choose a light moisturizer to use under your make-up. A heavy moisturizer can stop your foundation from blending in nicely. After applying your moisturizer make sure to let the product sink into the skin. Blot with a tissue to remove any excess shine.
Third: Tone. This helps lock in the moisturizer and tone and tighten the skin
Step 2: Eyes
We always start with eyes first, most women start with foundation first. We find that starting with the eyes makes my applications easier. It allows you to wipe away any fallen eye shadow under the eyes and start fresh with the foundation.
Step 3: Brows
Fill in your brows with a shadow that is close or one shade darker than your natural brow color. If you prefer a brow pencil we recommend filling in the brows using the pencil with a disposable mascara wand. Take the pencil and brush it along the mascara wand and then begin to fill in the brows. This technique creates a very natural way of filling in the eye brows.
Step 4: Concealer:
Using a concealer brush, apply concealer that is closest to your skin tone under the eye to cover any dark circles. You can also apply concealer anywhere on the skin that might have redness, blemishes, or skin imperfections.
Step 5: Foundation
Depending on your skin, age, and how you wear your make-up on a daily bases really plays into what kind of foundation is right for you. Aveda has three types of foundation to choose from.
Tinted moisturizer: The tinted moisturizer gives the skin a natural glow. It naturally evens out the skin tone with a light coverage without setting into any lines and wrinkles.
Dual foundation: The dual foundation balances skin tone, and minimizes the look of fine lines, pores and imperfections. It gives a nice full coverage and can be used wet or dry
Pressed powder: The pressed powder absorbs any unwanted excess oil while giving the skin a medium coverage.
Step 5: Blush and Bronzer
To warm the face, apply bronzer to the temples, chin, and bridge of the nose. Apply blush to the apple of the cheeks to give you that natural glow.
Step 6: Lips
Prep the lips with a lip conditioner like Aveda Renewing Lip Treatment or Aveda Lip Saver to moisturize the lips before applying your favorite lip stick. Choose a color that will look best and make the make-up application look complete
With these easy steps, we are sure that you will be able to create an amazing winter look, whatever the occasion. If you are still a little unsure, make an appointment at any of our three locations for a make-up application or make-up lesson. Our professionals will help you find the perfect look this holiday season.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson